A hotel worker in Laos says an Australian man had probably been dead for 24 hours before his body was discovered in his room.
Soukthidet Inthanongsak, a receptionist at the Sinnakhone Hotel in the Laotian capital Vientiane, found the body of Nick Parkin on January 4.
Cleaners who tried to enter the room the previous day were stopped by a security chain across the door, but they saw Mr Parkin lying unmoving on his bed, he said.
The Australian had not been seen outside his room since January 2.
"I unlocked the door and called to him, but he didn't answer me," Mr Inthanongsak said on Friday.
"I could see the blood in his body was dark blue and I knew he was dead.
"There was foam from his mouth," he said.
Mr Parkin had been travelling in Laos with his friend Kane Scriven, whose body was discovered at another hotel on January 1.
There have been media reports the pair separately suffered drug overdoses, but this has not been confirmed by Australian or Laotian authorities.
Mr Inthanongsak has not been told Mr Parkin's cause of death, but said drinking and drug-taking are common among Australian tourists.
He said Mr Parkin checked in alone on January 2 and paid to stay two nights.
The receptionist said he finally entered the room on January 4 because Mr Parkin had not checked out by noon.
He said if the Australian had paid up for a week, his body probably would not have been discovered until then.
First secretary of the Laos embassy in Canberra, Bounpha Phimmaseng, has expressed sympathy over the deaths, but says he is unable to speculate on their cause.