Cabbies in NSW should break a new law requiring them to wear seatbelts because it may raise the risk of being assaulted by passengers, an industry representative says.

Taxi drivers in the state must start buckling up from Monday, when they lose their exemption from laws that made wearing seatbelts compulsory in 1971.

But Australian Taxi Drivers Association President Michael Jools says he for one won't be wearing a seatbelt if he feels threatened by a passenger.

"I'm ready to go to court on it," he told AAP on Friday.

"I personally hope that drivers don't comply, get a ticket, take it to court and get a sensible magistrate to hear what the real issues are."

Mr Jools said it was a case of "civil disobedience in the event of a greater threat".

He said wearing seatbelts was clearly safer but drivers saw being attacked by passengers as a greater risk than accidents, with thousands of assaults on cabbies each year.

"Wearing a seatbelt leaves you restrained, uncomfortable and at risk.

"Now we've got no chance of running away, of getting away quickly."

Mr Jools said drivers would not resist wearing seatbelts if the NSW government better addressed security concerns.

But the NSW Taxi Council, representing individual cabbies through to larger taxi companies, has come out in favour of the new law following widespread consultation with drivers.

"It became clear (after the consultation) that the predominant view now is that the safety aspects of wearing a seatbelt outweigh security concerns," it said in a statement.

Many concerns had been addressed over the past decade with the introduction of security cameras, GPS tracking and other emergency procedures, the council said.