A Queensland motorist has told of being pulled over twice for "stealing" his own car, a month after he told police it had been recovered.
John Pettit reported his 1999 Hyundai station wagon stolen from his Brisbane home in November last year but hours later he found it abandoned at a nearby pub and told police, The Courier-Mail reports.
Despite that, Mr Pettit said his car remained in a police database of stolen vehicles.
On Christmas Eve Mr Pettit was pulled over by police who later had to apologise after checking his identification.
They promised to remove the car's details from the database of stolen vehicles.
But Mr Pettit says that didn't happen and he was pulled over again last week, when he ended up handcuffed in the back of a police car after protesting the car was not stolen.
A police spokesman said officers were not required to report every traffic interaction, and there was no record of the car being pulled over since it was reported stolen.
But officers were required to report the use of handcuffs, and there was no record of such an incident involving Mr Pettit.
A police database check On Thursday indicated the car was correctly recorded on November 27 as being recovered.