Aboriginal groups have been left distraught by the discovery of Indigenous remains during work to duplicate the Southern Expressway two months ago, a Kaurna elder says.
A skull and fragments of bones were uncovered by a worker during excavations near Christies Creek south of Adelaide on November 15.
The State Government says the gravesite has been cordoned off and the bones will be reburied nearby.
It is the not the first time Aboriginal remains have been found during work to improve the transport system south of the city in recent years.
In 2011, bones were uncovered along the Seaford rail extension.
The Kaurna and Ramindjeri people have made native title claims over the area that includes Christies Creek.
Kaurna elder Jeffrey Newchurch says members of both groups have been upset by the discovery.
He says the Government was aware of the likelihood of uncovering Aboriginal remains before it began the work.
"It seems to be getting quite regular now that the Government and their departments are digging up Aboriginal burial grounds," he said.
"Christies Creek has always been identified as an area of significance for Aboriginal people.
"After the Seaford Rail burial site was dug up I'm quite distraught.
"We should be protesting, standing there. They shouldn't keep on doing this.
"Aboriginal people are at a spiritual loss. The grieving process, the healing process. It affects Aboriginal lifestyle."
A lawyer for the Kaurna people, Stephen Kenny, says his clients want heritage monitors on-site to ensure burial grounds are treated in accordance with Indigenous cultural protocols.
"They are not asking that the freeway divert around it. They've been willing enough for the remains to be removed and moved to a new burial site," he said.
"They are concerned that this project, such a large project, has gone ahead without monitors being there when they are carrying out initial earthworks.
"Effectively half the bones, the remains have been lost because they weren't discovered early enough.
"They have fragments of a number of skeletal remains but not the whole remains so some of them have just been dumped into the remainder of the earthworks somewhere and cars will be running over them.
"They have no financial support and at the moment we're having real difficulty with the Government even providing some really basic support to run their organisation to be able to organise the monitors."
Transport Minister Patrick Conlon strongly rejected those claims, insisting the bones had not been disturbed since they were uncovered.
Mr Conlon said up to ten heritage monitors have been on-site since works began.
"Every one on this site is extremely sensitive to the possibility of their being Aboriginal remains," he said.
"Every earth mover, every person employed there has been trained to identify potential remains and immediately cease work.
"No work has recommenced in that area since. We immediately employed monitors from the Kaurna and Ramindjeri people.
"The suggestion that the contractors had been in some way cavalier and that these remains have now been scattered as a result of it is simply not true.
"We had an archaeologist employed from the outset to assist in this sort of work."
Mr Conlon says the site does not appear to be a major burial ground.