The parents of a Perth teenager who died after drinking methanol in Indonesia say their son's condition was initially misdiagnosed.

Liam Davies, 19, became seriously ill on New Year's Eve after drinking cocktails in a bar on the Gili Trawangan island off Lombok, near Bali.

The teenager was initially treated in Indonesia before being flown to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth, where he later died.

His parents say their son's condition deteriorated in the Indonesian hospital after he was misdiagnosed with a brain aneurism.

Liam's father Tim says Indonesian authorities need to launch an inquiry into the incident.

"We hope the Indonesian authorities aggressively investigate not only Liam's death, but the many events where people have died or been made seriously ill," he said.

"Medical staff need to be trained on the signs and treatment associated with methanol poisoning.

"Early intervention could have given us a different outcome."

Tim Davies says his son was served what he thought was imported vodka mixed with lime from genuine bottles behind the bar.

He is warning others to beware.

"Liam did nothing wrong. He was enjoying a few drinks at a bar like anyone else would," he said.

"You simply don't expect to be served a drink that is lethal...this could happen to anyone, your partner, your teenager, or anyone.

"If you have loved ones in Indonesia we suggest that you contact them and make them aware of what happened to our son so that they do not fall prey to the same event."

'Hideous crime'

Tim Davies is calling on Indonesian authorities to stamp out the practice of selling locally-brewed alcohol.

"We have decided to speak today in the hope that by sharing this tragic death of our son we may be able to warn others and prevent this hideous crime from taking another life," he said.

"We also speak today to protect our son's memory and reputation. Liam was a regular 19-year-old, working hard and loving life.

"He was excited about the future and his aspirations to travel the world."

A spokesman for Australia's Indonesian ambassador says Indonesia already has strict alcohol regulations in place.

He says an interview is not possible while investigations into Mr Davies' death are underway.

The Department of Foreign Affairs is discussing better regulations with Indonesian authorities to improve safety standards for mixing and preparing alcohol.

Mr Davies is not the only Australian to die after drinking methanol in Indonesia.

Perth rugby player Michael Denton died in Bali in September 2011.

The medical director at the New South Wales Poison Centre, Dr Naren Gunja, says methanol is hard to smell or taste when it is diluted.

He says it does not take much methanol to kill a person, adding that the body metabolises it into a dangerous toxin.

"That can cause significant problems in the body including kidney failure and also problems with your heart and circulation which eventually causes people to die with multi-organ failure," he told PM.