Frustrated residents of bushfire-ravaged Dunalley are expected to finally be able to return to their homes on Friday.

Public information sessions have been held, and registered residents will likely travel down the Arthur Highway to the devastated fishing village, which lost 90 buildings in and around it.

The arterial road will not be open to the public, but late on Thursday another road was reopened and the Arthur Highway roadblock moved further south, allowing some traffic into the area for the first time.

Tasmania's chief health officer Dr Roscoe Taylor said risks such as asbestos dust could be managed safely and returning residents would need to pick up disposable overalls and masks.

"It is most important to wear protective clothing while looking through the debris and minimise disturbance of dust and ash," he said.

Air monitoring devices have been placed in the worst affected areas.

A watch and act alert remains for the Tasman Peninsula fire with the communities of Kellevie, Bream Creek, Eaglehawk Neck, Pirates Bay, Doo Town, Old Jetty Road and Blowhole Road being told to stay vigilant to changing weather conditions.

Large smoke plumes were still visible on the blackened peninsula on Thursday.

Power crews were seen working to restore electricity and queues of those waiting to be convoyed out by car ran for kilometres.

At the destroyed Dunalley Primary School visited by Prime Minister Julia Gillard on Monday, temporary classrooms will be set up on the school oval.

The Tasmanian government has pledged that the school, which has about 130 students enrolled for the 2013 school year, will be rebuilt.

Education Minister Nick McKim said the clean-up had already begun.

"We have also already placed an order for demountable classrooms and facilities so the temporary school can be up and running as soon as possible," he said in a statement on Thursday.

Premier Lara Giddings said the government was doing all it could to ensure the students could begin classes in three-and-a-half weeks' time in their own community.

Australia's former top prosecutor will head a task force to help communities rebuild.

Former Commonwealth and Tasmanian director of public prosecutions Damian Bugg QC will chair the state government's bushfire recovery taskforce, with senior public servant Michael Stevens appointed bushfire recovery coordinator.

Ms Giddings said the task force had one important focus.

"The devastation we have witnessed in the past week is plain for everyone to see - the toll it has taken on communities is even more so," she said.

"But we will leave no stone unturned in helping these areas to recover, and this taskforce will have the responsibility for that."

Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, donated a "significant" amount to the Red Cross Tasmanian Bushfires bushfires Appeal, which has topped $1.6 million.

Charles and Camilla made a five-hour stopover in the island state in November as part of their tour to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations last year.