A toddler on the New South Wales north coast is recovering from a terrifying ordeal after being attacked by a python.
The two-year-old was squeezed and bitten by the 185-centimetre non-venomous carpet snake in her Lismore home over the weekend.
The girl had been sleeping at about 3:00am on Saturday when her mother woke to find the snake in their bed.
A local snake handler Tex Tillis says the girl's mother reacted quickly.
"Mum woke up in panic and actually struck out to try and grab the snake's head, which of course is what she had to do," he said.
"But she missed by about six inches, so whenever a snake is grabbed the only [thing] it can conclude is that anything that can grab it can also eat it, so it panicked and it started to constrict the arm at that point and started to bite the baby at that point.
"She pulled the snake off her baby and then went from the room, blood coming out of poor baby, and got her dad to take her to the hospital.
"I saw the wounds, she had three definite strikes, but amazingly the snake must have just been giving warning taps."
Mr Tillis believes the reptile had only been looking to keep warm.