The family of a Perth teenager who is fighting for his life with methanol poisoning have warned others about consuming potentially lethal brews in Indonesia.

Liam Davies, 19, is in a critical condition in a Perth hospital after a new year party went horribly wrong.

Mr Davies, who was on holiday on the island of Lombok with friends, fell ill on New Year's Day and was urgently flown to Perth on Thursday.

His family released a statement on Friday saying Mr Davies was a fun-loving and active man with dreams of travelling the world.

"In consultation with Australian specialists a decision was made to medivac Liam back to Perth for treatment. He arrived at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in the early hours of January 3," the family said.

"He has been diagnosed with methanol poisoning and is currently in a critical condition."

A former representative of Australia's under-18 lacrosse team, Mr Davies is the latest tourist to be affected by methanol in Indonesia.

"We would like to make people aware of the risks associated with consuming locally brewed drinks where you cannot be certain of the quality," the family said.

"We would like to thank Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital for the specialist care he is receiving and the quality of support offered by the staff there."

The Australian Medical Association (AMA) has urged travellers to stick to bottled beers in Indonesia.

In September 2011, 29 year-old Perth rugby player Michael Denton died in Bali after consuming arak, which is described as a colourless, sugarless beverage with a 20 to 50 per cent alcohol content. It is distilled from rice or palm sap.

It is usually produced legally and safely, but unlicensed distillers also produce it. A by-product of incorrect distillation is methanol.

At Mr Denton's inquest in Dunedin, coroner David Crerar said foreign ministries should warn citizens about the dangers of consuming the local concoction, which also blinded an 18-year-old Australian school leaver in Bali last month.

"It's difficult to know whether these drinks are being deliberately spiked or there's just unprofessionalism in the distillation process and the methanol's not being filtered out," said AMA vice-president Michael Gannon.

"I think the best thing for people to do is acknowledge that these type of things might happen in places like Bali and Lombok and to treat these places differently."

 

Advertisement