WGME - Courtesy / Portland, ME embargo
Portland, ME - Dec. 29
1. Michael Snell and Steven Bridges coming out of City Hall in Portland
2. Michael Snell and Steven Bridges holding up marriage license on steps
3. Soundbite / Steven Bridges and Michael Snell/Married under Maine's New Gay Marriage Law (Transcribed Below)
4. Wedding Ceremony inside City Hall
5. People seated in hall waiting for marriage licenses
6. Cutaway of sign in hall
7. Soundbite / Kris Kast / Applying for Marriage License Under New Law (Transcribed Below)
8. AP Graphic on Gay Marriage
9. Michael Snell and Steven Bridges pinning flowers on each other
10. Michael Snell and Steven Bridges standing on steps of City Hall
OVERWRITE WITH SCRIPT HERE
CHEERS GO UP AS GAY COUPLES LIKE MICHAEL SNELL AND STEVEN BRIGES TIE THE KNOT UNDER MAINE'S NEW GAY MARRIAGE LAW.
"this is awesome....very appreciative. .. This is the catalyst that made us decide to do it and be part of history."
LICENSES WERE ISSUED AT THE STROKE OF MIDNIGHT.
A CITY SPOKESWOMAN SAID THAT 14 COUPLES RECEIVED MARRIAGE LICENSES AND 5 OF THEM MARRIED ON THE SPOT.
"things that normal couples take for granted....straight couples take for granted....power of attorney....or medical rights or decisions....i won't have to worry about running around trying to find that piece of paper.
GAY MARRIAGE WAS ALREADY LEGAL HALF A DOZEN STATES SUCH AS NEW YORK, MASSACHUSETTS, AND CONNECTICUT -- PLUS THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.
BUT THOSE LAWS WERE EITHER ENACTED BY LAWMAKES OR THROUGH COURT RULINGS.
VOTERS IN MAINE, MARYLAND AND WASHINGTON STATE APPROVED GAY MARRIAGE IN NOVEMBER, MAKING THEM THE FIRST STATE'S TO DO SO BY POPULAR VOTE.
THE NEW LAW IS ALREADY IN EFFECT IN WASHINGTON STATE -- WHILE MARYLAND'S GOES INTO EFFECT IN A FEW DAYS -- JANUARY 1ST, 2013.
-----------------------THE ASSOCIATED PRESS.