Notorious conman Peter Foster has been sentenced to three years' jail for flouting a ban from working in the weight-loss industry.

Foster, 51, is on the run and again failed to turn up to court, this time for sentencing in the Federal Court on Thursday.

He was found guilty of two counts of contempt last month for deliberately and flagrantly breaching a 2005 ban from the weight-loss industry.

Foster had breached the ban by preparing promotional material for SensaSlim, a "weight-loss" oral spray.

He was accused of conning $6 million out of 90 investors through the scam.

Justice John Logan said it was an extremely serious case of contempt.

"He is absolutely without remorse or contrition," he told the court.

Victims are tens of thousands out of pocket, and some have endured emotional distress and relationship breakdown, the court heard.

"The loss has had catastrophic consequences for individuals," Justice Logan said.

Foster was sentenced to three years jail.

He will serve 18 months and the further 18 months will be suspended on the condition he stays away from the weight-loss and cosmetic industries and doesn't commit a crime.

Justice Logan said there must be some case to reform Foster, despite his criminal past.

"He is intelligent and eloquent but he has directed that to unlawful acts," he said.

"He has a sense of self importance as opposed to a degree deference which we all have to make to enable us to live in peace in a civilised society."

Earlier the court heard Foster has styled himself as an international man of mystery who has a buccaneer quality about him.

Barrister David Kent, for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, gave a scathing character assessment.

"A 51-year-old man with significant intellectual ability - one struggles to identify any legitimate job," Mr Kent told the court.

"He is a career criminal."

A fresh warrant for Foster's arrest was issued.

A $125,000 surety, put up by his mother Louise, was forfeited for not complying with the courts.

 

Advertisement