ROUGH CUT - NO REPORTER NARRATION
PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
At least six people were killed when buildings collapsed on islands popular with tourists in the central Philippines on Tuesday, radio reports said, after an earthquake measuring 7.2 hit the region.
Philippine radio reports quoted an official from the national disaster agency as saying four people had been killed on Bohol island, about 400 km (250 km) southeast of the capital, Manila, when buildings collapsed during the quake.
Radio reports said at least two people had also been killed in nearby Cebu. At least two low-rise buildings collapsed and other buildings, including a church and former town hall, were damaged.
Similar damage reports were received from Bohol.
Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya said in a radio interview that parts of the Tagbilaran port in Bohol had cracked and collapsed.
Official confirmation of the radio reports was not immediately possible.
The U. S. Geological Survey recorded the quake at a depth of about 56 km (35 miles). No tsunami warnings were issued after the quake.