Football's world governing body FIFA is confident Brazil can ensure security during next year's World Cup, its secretary general said Thursday.

"There is no additional demand on the part of FIFA" in terms of security, Jerome Valcke told a Rio press conference.

In the wake of massive street protests in June as Brazil hosted the Confederations Cup, Valcke said authorities "reacted well and gave us all, teams, trade partners, confidence in their capacity to control these situations".

The protests, which brought more than one million people onto the streets of major cities, were against the high cost of hosting the World Cup and also to demand better public services and an end to endemic corruption.

During Valcke's visit to Cuiaba, capital of the central-western state of Mato Grosso, last week, some 50 people, most of them public employees, held a protest.

"They have the right to protest and we have the right to organize the World Cup," the FIFA secretary-general commented.