Ryan Harris is hopeful of playing all five Tests when the Ashes resume in Australia this summer after overcoming a hamstring strain that cruelled the end of his campaign in England.

The 33-year-old paceman suffered the injury during the fifth Test draw at The Oval last month and was later ruled out for up to eight weeks.

But Harris on Tuesday said the injury "seems to have healed" and last week returned to bowling as part of early preparations for the opening Test at the Gabba on November 21.

"I probably had two weeks off bowling and I've been back at the gym getting my strength back up, so everything's on target," he said.

"We're just in process of planning out exactly how many games I'm going to play and what the process is going to be leading into that first Test.

"There's plenty of cricket between now and then, which is great, so I've got a good chance to bowl lots of overs."

Battling his injury-prone body, Harris managed to hold it together for four straight Tests in England - the first time in his stop-start career - and become Australia's leading wicket-taker with 24 wickets at 20 apiece.

"When I went to England, I was aiming to get through five and I got through four," he said.

"Hopefully this time I'd like to get through five but we'll see how we go.

"Obviously form will play a part in that as well - but I'm definitely aiming to play five."

While many of his teammates will be in India for next month's one-day tour, Harris will be at home training and working on his fitness with the aim of playing for Queensland in the upcoming Ryobi Cup and Sheffield Shield.

"We're working out a plan as we speak. The physios are in charge of how much I go and what I do," he said.

"We had a great lead up to the Ashes series in England and I think we're going to follow the same sort of path.

"We'll work out a plan and go from there. But there's plenty of cricket to be played and plenty of overs to be bowled."

Harris added that while the upcoming tour of India, which opens with a Twenty20 clash on October 10, was not ideal preparation for Australia, the team had little choice but to play.

"We can't sort of say no to India. The ICC schedule games and that's what we've got to do," he said.

"It's not ideal but as long as the guys are still playing and hitting the ball, I don't think it'll be a massive problem.

"I think there's two Shield games they may get before the first Test so it's not as if they're coming off nothing. They'll cope ok."