Victims will be given two weeks' notice before the person who hurt them is released from prison under changes to Victoria's parole system.

Previously, there was no compulsion and no timelines for the parole board to alert victims, leading to some victims being unaware an offender had been released.

The move is part of a raft of proposed reforms set to be introduced into state parliament.

The Adult Parole Board will also have to reveal the number of people who commit crimes while on parole, and board members, often criticised for being out of touch with community expectations, will have their terms limited to nine years.

As well, the proposed changes will pave the way for a former judge to be appointed as the parole board's chair.

Victorian Premier Denis Napthine says the moves continue the government's reform agenda on the state's parole system.

"When we say parole in Victoria is a privilege, not a right, we mean it," Dr Napthine said on Wednesday.

The changes follow a scathing review of the parole system, prompted by a series of high-profile murders committed by offenders on parole, including the case of Adrian Ernest Bayley.

Bayley was both on parole and on bail when he raped and murdered Melbourne woman Jill Meagher last September.

The proposed new laws, set to be introduced on Wednesday, implement a number of recommendations from a parole board review by former High Court judge Ian Callinan.

His 122-page report found the Adult Parole Board exposed the community to higher risk because its decisions were tilted in favour of offenders, not victims.

Following the report, Dr Napthine said the consequences of past parole decisions had been totally unacceptable.

On Wednesday, he said the government moved quickly to implement the first wave of recommendations.

"It is vital to the safety of Victorians that we do so," he said.

"This is the kind of tough approach the people of Victoria expect."