Anthony Mundine has called for all Australians to support him against Shane Mosley next month and believes he's just a handful of fights from getting a crack at his chief boxing target Floyd Mayweather.

Mundine 38, will fight 41-year-old American and former three-division world champion Mosley at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on October 23 for the vacant WBA super welterweight international title.

Ranked 11th by the WBA, Mundine believes a win over Mosley would catapult him into the top five.

The former rugby league star would then like to fight WBC title holder Saul Alvarez, who he expects to lose to WBA Super champion Mayweather in Las Vegas later this month.

Former world champions Austin Trout and Miguel Cotto are the other names on Mundine's hitlist as he waits for a crack at Mayweather, the man regarded as the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world.

"If I win this and if Alvarez loses to Mayweather, which I think he will, I could be up next for Alvarez," Mundine told AAP.

"Or maybe (I might have) one before Alvarez, maybe Cotto or Trout, so three fights before Mayweather."

Mundine said his desire to wait for big bouts and rest his body had been the reasons for the nine-month break since his last-fight loss to Daniel Geale in January.

While Mundine's confidence and outspoken ways have polarised Australian fight fans in the past, a more measured 'man' wants everyone now to get behind him.

"I'm at a point in my career that I want the whole country supporting me because, if I can get past this endeavour, then there are only going to be big fights," Mundine said.

He dismissed the suggestion Mosley was "past it" and called him the most credited fighter to visit Australia.

"How can he be past it? He just went to Mexico and beat a young up-and-coming contender and a future champion, I believe, in Pablo Cano," Mundine said.

"This guy keeps rising to the challenge.

"He has never been stopped and always gives a competitive fight."