Millions will be spent upgrading Toowoomba's stormwater drains to prevent any repeat of the deadly floods that raged through the Queensland city two years ago.
About $4.5 million will be spent to avoid the harrowing scenes that played out in the CBD in 2011, when raging torrents of water swept away cars and flooded businesses.
Donna Rice and her 13-year-old son Jordan died after being swept from their car in that flash flood. More than 50 businesses and almost 100 homes were also damaged.
The state government and the Toowoomba council on Wednesday announced they were fast-tracking funds for an early warning system and a major upgrade of the city's drainage system.
"It will mark a turning point for communities threatened by flooding," Community Recovery and Resilience Minister David Crisafulli told AAP of the infrastructure upgrade.
"Those images were some of the most harrowing we had seen and I'm determined that some good has got to come out of the summer of heartache."
Mr Crisafulli also announced money to shore up flood defences in Laidley, in the Lockyer Valley where many people died in the 2011 floods.
He said almost $1 million had been set aside to start work on a levee around the Laidley CBD and Narda Lagoon, and an extension of major drainage systems around Coates and Storr streets.
Flood monitoring cameras will also be installed on roads at Glen Cairn and Junction View.