GOMA, Congo (AP) — Congo's government spokesman says at least three people are dead in eastern Congo after a rocket fell in Goma.
Lambert Mende told The Associated Press that residents of Goma were protesting in the streets Saturday after several days of attacks on civilians.
He blamed neighboring Rwanda for aiding the attack on the eastern Congolese city, which was briefly overtaken late last year by M23 rebels.
Rwanda has vigorously denied accusations that it is helping the rebels who are battling the Congolese army.
On Friday, the U.N. and Congolese officials confirmed that the U.N.'s intervention brigade had shelled rebel positions for the first time since the force was created in March.
The fighting in recent days broke a three-week lull in violence in the area.