JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Washington (AP) — The U. S. soldier who massacred 16 Afghan villagers during pre-dawn raids last year is about to address the jury considering whether he should ever have a chance at freedom.
Lawyers for Staff Sgt. Robert Bales said Thursday morning that their only remaining witness is the soldier himself. He's expected to make an unsworn statement, which means prosecutors won't be able to cross-examine him.
The lawyers had indicated they might call medical experts to discuss Bales' supposed post-traumatic stress disorder, but ultimately none testified.
They have said Bales will apologize for the murders.