Former Test cricketer and federal election candidate Nathan Bracken has had a minor win in his Supreme Court case against Cricket Australia.
The former left-arm quick, who confirmed this week that he is contesting the NSW Central Coast seat of Dobell as an independent, has been granted access to the sporting organisation's confidential documents.
Bracken is suing Cricket Australia and three medical professionals for compensation over the management of a knee injury he suffered in 2007.
He claims Cricket Australia engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct, was negligent and in breach of contract.
Cricket Australia wanted Bracken to undertake a confidentiality agreement in relation to 81 documents to which he is seeking access.
Last month, the court heard the documents included board meeting minutes, player contracts and agreements with broadcasters and sponsors.
Lawyers for Bracken argued a confidentiality agreement would lead to a waste of time and resources and potentially cost "hundreds of thousands of dollars".
They said it was also unnecessary as the confidentiality of such documents was already protected under court rules.
In a judgment handed down on Tuesday, Registrar Christopher Bradford agreed.
He noted the documents were all said to be over five years old and he queried how their disclosure could create a commercial problem.
"Cricket Australia effectively runs and controls the game in this country and specifically with respect to professional players," Mr Bradford said.
"It does not really have a competitor," he said.
The case is not expected to be heard until next year.