WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — The chief executive of New Zealand dairy giant Fonterra says the risk that people could contract botulism from infant formula made with the company's whey concentrate has ended.

Speaking at a press conference in Auckland Wednesday, Theo Spierings said that all supplies of potentially contaminated infant formula have now been removed from the international market. He said there was almost no more risk for consumers.

Spierings again apologized to consumers for the anxiety the scare had caused. He returned from China this week where he'd been doing damage control.

He said 18 metric tons of potentially contaminated whey protein concentrate had been turned into 2,300 tons of infant formula and other products that had now been successfully recalled.

 

Advertisement