A coroner has recommended that tenancy agreements in Victoria include a clause that obliges landlords to check or service gas appliances in rental properties every two years.

The recommendation was contained in the findings of an inquest into the deaths of two Victorian boys in 2010.

The coroner confirmed carbon monoxide from a faulty gas heater caused the deaths of Chase Robinson, 8, and his 6-year-old brother Tyler.

The boys were asleep in their mother's bed in a rented home in Mooroopna when they died in May 2010.

Their mother Vanessa Robinson survived but had to be treated in hospital.

The inquest found the build-up of carpet lint or dust in the heater may have contributed to a fault that caused it to emit dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

The heater had not been serviced for about five years and the landlord ignored three pro-forma letters from a real estate agent recommending clients have their gas heaters checked.

The boys' father is suing the owners of the property.

Ike Nwokolo, the lawyer for the boys' father, says the landlord ignored reminders to service the heater.

"Had the landlord serviced the heater, then it is more than likely Chase and Tyler's lives would have been saved," he said.

"They were reminded to do that on at least three occasions and failed to do that."

Mike Ebdon of Energy Safe Victoria says tenants should request checks.

"The advice to anyone who has them in the house is to have them serviced every two years," he said.

"In terms of landlords, you have a duty of care to your tenants to have them serviced.

"The recommendations of the coroner to the Real Estate Institute is to make sure that landlords are aware of these concerns."

 

Advertisement