The mother of a Hobart assault victim has turned to social media to try to end violence on the waterfront.

Yvonne Kerklaan is challenging official figures about waterfront assaults.

Ms Kerklaan's son Jaydon Michalkowski was bashed and left for dead on the Hobart waterfront last month.

The 21-year-old was set upon outside a nightclub by four men and left with facial fractures.

"As a mother you feel powerless," she said.

"It's killed many people before him so we are so lucky that wasn't the outcome of his attack."

Police received reports of seven assaults in the Hobart waterfront area last month.

Jaydon's family think the number is far higher and have set up a to try to gauge the extent of the problem.

They say it is almost a sport for some to see how much damage they can do with a single blow.

"Strong tall individual males are a target because it's a point of pride if you can bring someone down with a king hit."

Jaydon's girlfriend Cassandra Williams also believes it is a widespread problem.

"Speaking to the emergency nurses they were saying this is quite common that a lot of assault victims come in on a Saturday night, but unfortunately not much gets done about it."

Waterfront patrols by the Public Order Response Team were axed because of budget cuts.

The duty now falls to Hobart uniform patrols when their numbers and workload allows.

The Police Association's Pat Allen says that is not good enough.

"All the good work that's been done has been undone," he said.

"It comes back to the Government, the government doesn't care about the safety of Tasmanians."

Police say public place assaults are decreasing state-wide and there is no evidence to indicate the level of under reporting has increased.

Ms Kerklaan is scheduled to meet the inspector of Hobart uniform police on Friday.

 

Advertisement