South Sydney forward Ben Te'o has vehemently denied accusations he assaulted a Brisbane woman.
Earlier today, the Nine Network published a preview of an interview in which a woman claims she was punched in the face by Te'o in the presence of former Broncos team-mates Corey Norman and Darius Boyd.
"I am able to refute entirely any suggestion that I acted improperly," Te'o said in a statement released immediately after the reports were published.
"On the night in question, I found myself in unfortunate circumstances that were not caused by me and I acted appropriately to deal with a difficult situation.
"I called the police to report the incident and have the female removed from the house.
"I have not pressed charges against the female and to the best of my knowledge no charges have been laid against me."
The incident is reported to have happened in Brisbane the day after the April 19 Australia-New Zealand Test match, which was played in Canberra.
The Nine Network was set to run the story on Tuesday; however, it was not aired because charges had yet to be laid.
Pledging his full assistance, Te'o added: "I have offered my co-operation to the police, the NRL integrity unit, my club and other authorities to ensure that this matter is dealt with in the appropriate way.
"To this point I have not had any contact from the police since their attendance at the house, and neither my management nor my club have had any contact from the police or the female at the centre of this news story."
In a press conference this afternoon, South Sydney CEO Shane Richardson reiterated Te'o's denial and re-read the statement in front of the media.
Richardson said the club is working with the NRL Integrity Unit to investigate the allegations.
He added it was important to note that it was Te'o who called the police and said it would be inappropriate to stand down Te'o at this stage.
"Ben informed us that an incident occurred last month in Brisbane, and he has been very up front and open with us in our discussions with him in recent weeks," Richardson said
"We are going through due process and we are currently undertaking a thorough investigation into what happened that night in conjunction with the NRL Integrity Unit.
"We are not going to stand Ben down at this stage. There is a justice process for everyone concerned.
"We asked [Te'o] whether he wanted to be stood down and he said no."
Richardson said Te'o himself is anxious for all the details of the incident to be made public.
"Ben is the most wanting that this information completely comes out in the open," he said.
"Ben has indicated to us that he vehemently denies the allegations that are being levelled at him, and he is happy to co-operate with police, the NRL, the club, and other authorities to clear up this situation.
"I would like to point out that to this point in time neither Ben nor any member of the South Sydney Football Club has been contacted by the police, the person making the allegations, a representative of the person making the allegations, nor any member of the public regarding the alleged incident.
"We take situations like this very seriously, and our club has an excellent track record in such matters."
"Michael Maguire (South's coach) and the players are all aware of the situation and are supportive of Ben."