Alleged people-smuggling kingpin Sayed Abbas maintains he is a victim of mistaken identity and will fight efforts to extradite him to Australia where he is wanted on more than two dozen charges.

Abbas, suspected of being one of the most active people smugglers operating out of Indonesia in recent years, is wanted in Australia on 27 charges, the most serious of which carry maximum penalties of 20 years in jail.

He will face the South Jakarta District Court again on Wednesday, where he is expected to challenge the charges against him.

Australian authorities, who have been seeking to extradite the 30-year-old since 2009, want to prosecute Abbas for his alleged role in organising the successful passage to Christmas Island of three asylum seeker boats between 2009 and 2011.

But the Afghan national appears set to avoid facing the allegations about his role in sending scores of other boats to Australia, as well as the sinking of a vessel in December 2011 which left 200 people dead.

Australian authorities have been seeking his extradition since 2009.

He has been named and identified by survivors of a fatal voyage almost 18 months ago as the man they paid to get them to Australia.

One of those survivors, Mohamad Hardani, told a court in East Java in September last year that he paid $US50,000 to Abbas for arranging for seven of his family members to go to Australia.

Hardani was giving evidence in the case against Sergeant Ilmun Abdul Said, who was subsequently jailed for six years over his involvement in helping organise the deadly voyage, as well as a string of other people-smuggling ventures.

Another four soldiers, allegedly recruited by Ilmun to work for Abbas' syndicate, were also jailed last year.

 

Advertisement