The case against a retired Catholic priest, charged with 58 counts of abusing children in Queensland, has been adjourned for two months.

The priest, who cannot be named, is too ill to appear in court.

The 77-year-old, whose address is given as Logan, south of Brisbane, is accused of indecently dealing with children in the Brisbane, Logan and Gold Coast areas between 1977 and 1988.

He is charged with 57 counts of indecent treatment of children and one of common assault.

He was not required to appear when his case was mentioned in the Beenleigh Magistrates Court on Monday.

Barrister Barry Ryan, representing the priest, told the court his client was ill and unable to attend the hearing.

Police did not oppose his application for a two-month adjournment.

Mr Ryan said the priest faced ongoing health issues.

"It is unclear when he'll be well enough to attend court," he said.

The case was adjourned by Magistrate Joan White until July 8 for committal mention.

Police said a full brief of evidence has been prepared by the prosecution.

Ms White told the defence it would need to have a complete brief prepared when the case returned to court.

The priest's bail was continued.

Broken Rites, a group that supports victims of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, said the man had been a priest since 1960.

While it will not comment on the specific case, Brisbane's Catholic archdiocese reaffirmed its intolerance of sexual abuse.

"Any person raising allegations of abuse against church personnel is strongly encouraged to contact the police," a spokesman told AAP.