A Darwin hockey player has died after a snake bit him on the finger during an on-field training session.
Paramedics were called to the hockey complex in the suburb of Marrara on Tuesday night following reports that a player had fallen over and lost consciousness.
It is believed 26-year-old Karl Berry had picked up a snake off the playing surface of the field and thrown it into nearby bushes.
He did not notice he had been bitten and continued training.
St John ambulance spokesman Craig Garraway said Mr Berry was conscious when paramedics arrived at the sports complex.
"We found a male who had just been on a two-kilometre run, feeling quite unwell," he said.
"After some discussion and investigation, we became aware he had picked up a snake off the hockey field ... and it had actually bitten him on the finger."
He was taken to Royal Darwin Hospital in a critical condition but died the following day.
Territory reptile experts say the most likely highly venomous snake to be found in the vicinity of the Marrara sports complex is a western brown.