The head of Australian oil and gas producer Santos has rejected claims one of its major Queensland coal seam gas projects wasn't subjected to a rigorous approval process.
Santos managing director David Knox on Wednesday said extensive studies had been conducted into the potential environmental impacts on groundwater from the company's $18 billion GLNG project.
Mr Knox was responding to claims by a former Queensland bureaucrat-turned whistleblower that approvals for the project, and a $20 billion Queensland Gas Company (QGC) project, in 2010 were rushed through without crucial information.
The allegations, aired on ABC's Four Corners program on Monday, were based on "falsehoods", and Mr Knox said claims thorough groundwater tests weren't conducted were "simply untrue".
"There was a very extensive set of groundwater studies done," he told ABC Radio on Wednesday.
"The process from our side was run with the highest level of integrity."
Senior environmental specialist Simone Marsh, who part of a Queensland government team that approved the projects, claims she didn't have basic site information, baseline studies and details about infrastructure placement necessary to properly assess the environmental impact of the projects.
Santos took out full page newspaper advertisements on Wednesday disputing the allegations.
The Environmental Impact Statement for the GLNG project - to convert coal seam gas to liquefied natural gas - included a detailed, independent groundwater assessment, the advertisements claimed.
"It shows that the impacts will be very minimal," he said.
Santos was committed to science and ensuring it minimised any potential impact from their projects on the environment, he added.