A prominent Australian entertainer has been arrested on suspicion of sexual offences by officers investigating possible widespread abuse following the Jimmy Savile sex scandal.

The 82-year-old man from Berkshire in south England was arrested on Thursday in the United Kingdom and bailed until May pending further police inquiries.

The Metropolitan Police won't name the man involved unless he is subsequently charged.

He did not have to appear in bail court on Thursday.

Operation Yewtree was established after a TV documentary aired allegations that former BBC disc jockey Savile, who died in 2011 aged 84, sexually abused countless children.

A MET spokesman told AAP there were three categories of people subject to the investigation: Savile himself, people close to the presenter and "others".

The 82-year-old is in the last category which "is generally people who were in the public spotlight at around that time", the spokesman said on Friday.

The Berkshire man was interviewed under caution in late November 2012, five days after a search warrant was executed at his address in Berkshire.

Police stressed Thursday's arrest was not connected to the specific allegations made against Savile.

So far 11 people have been arrested as a result of Operation Yewtree.

A police investigation concluded earlier this year that Savile was a predatory sex offender who abused youngsters as young as eight over more than 50 years, using his fame to rape and assault victims on BBC premises, in schools and hospitals.

The scandal has escalated leading to the arrests of singer Gary Glitter, comedians Freddie Starr and Jim Davidson and radio presenter Stuart Hall.