A Sydney woman has broken down after a coroner found her baby probably died from accidental suffocation as they slept together on a couch.
Jaylea Thompson was nine days old when she died at Kingswood in western Sydney in January 2011.
Her mother, Jamie-Lea Signato, was asked to give evidence at an inquest into her death this morning.
She cried and shook when she described how she was sleeping with her baby on the lounge, because it was a hot night and the lounge room had air conditioning.
Jamie-Lea Signato told the inquest that she woke at 5:30am to feed the baby and half an hour later she woke again and screamed because the baby was blue.
A doctor gave evidence today, saying the infant probably died from accidental suffocation.
Deputy State Coroner Sharon Freund agreed and she said that the death was a timely reminder to mothers of the dangers of sleeping with newborn children.