An aggravated assault charge is to be dropped against former AFL player Liam Jurrah, who has again failed to appear in an Adelaide court.
Jurrah's lawyer Joanna Caracoussis said the 24-year-old was still in the Northern Territory for the upcoming funeral for his grandfather who passed away late last year.
Jurrah's bail required him to attend the Elisabeth magistrates court on Thursday on a charge of aggravated assault in Adelaide in January.
Ms Caracoussis said the funeral was postponed on the day last week when a NT Supreme Court jury acquitted Jurrah of assaulting his cousin in a brawl last year.
The new date has not been set, she added.
Magistrate David McLeod said Jurrah was probably taking the indulgence of the court in assuming that "by simply referring to the fact he is attending an Aboriginal funeral that somehow gives him a free kick".
"It is not up to defendants to determine whether they attend court or not," he said.
"It is up to them to follow the law."
Mr McLeod said he could understand the necessity of attending a funeral if it was imminent, but if no date had been set "it seems somewhat unsatisfactory".
The police prosecutor said the alleged victim had signed a form saying she did not wish to proceed with the aggravated assault charge.
The magistrate said if the prosecutor had said the assault matter was proceeding, he would have issued a warrant for Jurrah's arrest.
Instead, he issued a warrant which is to lie on the file until his next appearance date on May 2.
He directed Ms Caracoussis to provide the court, within the next 48 hours, with evidence corroborating the statement that Jurrah was attending a funeral and to give the date of the funeral.
If that did not occur, he gave the prosecution leave to bring the matter back to court.
On Tuesday, Jurrah failed to appear in the same court on a drink-driving charge.
Another magistrate issued a warrant, but it will only be activated if Jurrah fails to turn up at Elizabeth Magistrates Court on April 2.