Former Bundaberg surgeon Jayant Patel has been found not guilty of killing a patient.
A Brisbane Supreme Court jury on Wednesday acquitted Dr Patel of the manslaughter of 75-year-old Mervyn Morris.
Patel had been accused of causing his death after he removed part of his colon in an attempt to address rectal bleeding in 2003.
However, his defence team successfully argued Patel had an "honest and reasonable belief" that the operation at the Bundaberg Base Hospital was necessary, and that his actions were supported by a number of expert witnesses.
This is the second time Patel has stood trial for the manslaughter of Mr Morris.
He was convicted of killing Mr Morris and two other patients in June 2010.
During that trial he was also found guilty of the grievous bodily harm of Ian Vowles.
Patel was sentenced to seven years' jail.
However his convictions were overturned by the High Court in August last year, and separate retrials were ordered.
The manslaughter trial for Mr Morris was the first to be held, with others likely to take place later this year.
Prosecutor David Meredith told the court that despite the acquittal, the Director of Public Prosecutions Tony Moynihan had made the decision that the other trials will still proceed.
Patel, whose bail has been continued, will return to court this Friday for a mention, where it is expected the crown will reveal which matter will proceed next.
Outside court barrister Ken Fleming QC said his client was "very happy with the verdict" and that they believed "justice has been done".
"The evidence was there and the jury acted responsibly as well," he said.
"I think it was a very intelligent jury and they worked very hard."
Mr Fleming said he could not confirm if he would represent Patel in any future matter.
He said he and Patel had not yet been informed about which matters the crown intend to proceed with, but they would be making a submission to prosecutors that the other charges should be dropped.