An autopsy will determine the cause of death of convicted rapist Antonio Loguancio whose body was found in a burnt-out Melbourne bungalow after a two-day siege.

The death of Loguancio, 40, will be investigated by the homicide squad and the coroners court, with a post-mortem examination expected to be done on Monday.

Police say the siege escalated on Sunday afternoon when a number of shots were fired from the Glenroy bungalow.

The home caught alight about 2pm (AEDT) and firefighters found Loguancio's body when they extinguished the blaze.

Loguancio had been holed up in the home since 7pm on Friday.

His friend Mick Collett spoke to him several times by phone during the siege and said Loguancio was agitated and panicking.

Victoria Police also said on Saturday they were concerned about Loguancio's state of mind and later described his death as a tragedy.

Loguancio was described as a significant risk to the community, after he breached a supervision order and assaulted his partner before going into hiding in the lead-up to the siege.

He had been released on a supervision order after being jailed for 12 years for multiple counts of rape, assault and other offences.

 

Advertisement