ACT Liberal Senator Gary Humphries has confirmed he will not attempt further Liberal preselection or contest this year's Federal election in any form.
Senator Humphries says he will not run for the second spot on the Liberal senate ticket.
"Having me at number two on the ticket presents a distraction for our number one candidate," Senator Humphries said.
"I don't think it would be appropriate to have a retiring Senator at number two.
"There's too much danger that people would decide to reorganise the ticket as they saw fit and that's obviously not helpful in getting a message across to the party voters that we want them to vote in a certain order."
The Senator says he was angry at the internal process where many party members were denied a preselection vote.
"I thought there were things very seriously wrong with the preselection process.
"On Saturday itself a large number of people arrived to vote, having been informed that they were preselectors and were told without any warning that they were not preselectors."
One of those refused a preselection vote was former ACT senator Margaret Reid.
However Senator Humphries says he will accept the result of the Saturday's vote.
"The party has spoken," he said.
"Flawed or not, the party has spoken and it is time for me to move on."
His wife Cathy Humphries says its been a stressful few weeks for the whole family.
"It's been fairly gut wrenching, and you've suddenly had your world pulled out from underneath you.
"But we've got together as a family, and our boys, and Gary and I and moving on.
"We're looking forward to a future where we might have a father at home and a husband at home because we haven't seen much of him in the last 24 years. "
"Gary's got a few plans up his sleeve for after the September election, and we'll go from there."
Senator Humphries says his relationship with his former Legislative Assembly colleague Mr Seselja is no longer friendly.
Both have previously stood as candidates in the ACT Assembly.
Mr Seselja says he will resign as an MLA before the election period begins for the Federal poll in September.
"I will be stepping down prior to the election campaign proper," he said.
"I will not be an MLA during that period."
But Ms Gallagher says Mr Seselja's priorities are no longer in the Assembly and he should go.
"I don't think it's fair and reasonable that the Assembly will be footing the bill for a long term campaign for the Senate," she said.
"He's going to be doorknocking, he's going to be campaigning, he's going to be running grassroots campaign strategies.
"I don't think it's fair or reasonable for the people of Canberra to believe all the time that he's not an MLA, because everyone knows you're an MLA, you're paid an allowance, it's a 7 day a week job."
But Mr Seselja says he will keep the roles separate.
"I certainly won't be campaigning using the resources of my office," he said.
Ms Gallagher has called on the Liberal Leader Jeremy Hanson to intervene.