The Queensland premier has refused to say if he helped draw up the nearly $500,000-a-year contract for Michael Caltabiano, the transport boss he sacked a week ago.

Former Liberal National Party MP Alex Douglas says he is deeply concerned about contracts which have severe restrictions on what can and can't be said about senior bureaucrats if they need to be terminated.

Premier Campbell Newman admitted this week that clauses in Mr Caltabiano's contract prevented him from revealing to taxpayers why he'd been axed.

He said he risked being sued if he told the whole story.

Dr Douglas said such contracts should ring alarm bells in everyone's mind.

"They include the protection of serious issues of impropriety which may well occur, but then cannot ever be revealed," he told AAP.

"In fact, I would go so far as to say not only are they fatally flawed, but also there is strong reason to suggest you would only sign those contracts if there was an element of pre-meditation of what may well occur."

The former Department of Transport director-general, who was hand-picked by Mr Newman, remains suspended on full pay of about $10,000 a week until March 15.

The premier, who has taken full responsibility for Mr Caltabiano's appointment, said this week that maybe down the track he could talk about why he was sacked.

He added he had actually saved taxpayers' money because under the former Labor government, Mr Caltabiano could have been eligible to claim four years' pay after he was sacked.

Mr Newman said he'd changed these provisions when he got into office.

However, on Friday the premier refused to say if he was personally involved in Mr Caltabiano's contract negotiations, or if a clause in that contract prevented the disclosure of any serious impropriety.

Nor would he say if any other senior bureaucrats have been hired with the same protections.

Mr Newman also would not answer questions about whether Mr Caltabiano was free to carry out consultancy or other non-government work while he was on a government payroll of close to $500,000 a year, either before or during his suspension.

He would not say whether he was aware that may have occurred.

Mr Caltabiano was axed last week, on the same day Ros Bates quit as arts minister.

The Crime and Misconduct Commission is investigating the appointment of Ms Bates's son, Ben Gommers, to a well-paid job in Mr Caltabiano's department.

Mr Caltabiano was stood aside amid claims he misled a budget estimates hearing about his relationship with Mr Gommers.

Mr Caltabiano has denied any wrongdoing.

 

Advertisement