AP Photo -- AP Clients Only
Feb. 19, 2013
1. Photo of Ali Syed / Shooter
AP Television -- AP Clients Only
Orange County, Calif. - Feb. 19, 2013
2. Wide of vehicle at crime scene
3. Mid of vehicle at crime scene
4. Tight of vehicle at crime scene
5. Mid of second vehicle at second crime scene
6. Tight of tire of second vehicle
7. SOUNDBITE: Cpl. Anthony Bertagna / Santa Ana Police Dept. (Transcribed Below)
8. Wide of second vehicle at second crime scene
9. Series of AP Graphics - Maps -- Showing crime locations
10. SOUNDBITE: Lt. Paul Garaven / Tustin Police Dept. (Transcribed Below)
11. Mid of police car at one of the crime scenes
12. Moving shot of truck being towed from one of the crime scenes
THIS IS THE MAN WHO POLICE SAY WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR A SHOOTING SPREE THAT LEFT FOUR PEOPLE DEAD, INCLUDING THE SHOOTER.
HE'S 20 YEAR OLD ALI SYED (SY-EHD).... A PART-TIME STUDENT..... WHO AUTHORITIES SAY WAS UNEMPLOYED.
POLICE SAY IN LESS THAN AN HOUR, HE KILLED A WOMAN AT HIS HOME -- TWO COMMUTERS DURING SEPARATE CARJACKINGS -- AND LATER COMMITTED SUICIDE AS POLICE CLOSED IN ON HIM.
HE ALSO FIRED ON MULTIPLE VEHICLES.
"our victim...who was in a BMW was stopped at the stop sign....suspect gets out of the vehicle he took in the original carjacking....confronts our victim....orders him out of the car....walks him to the side of the intersection....and basically executes him."
POLICE SAY SHOOTING SPREE BEGAN WHEN A TWENTY YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO WAS NOT RELATED TO SYED WAS SHOT AND KILLED AT HIS HOME IN LADERA RANCH.
AUTHORITIES SAY HE THEN HEADED NORTH AND CARJACKED A DODGE PICK-UP TRUCK ABOUT TWENTY MILES AWAY IN TUSTIN.
THE DRIVER WASN'T HURT... BY A BYSTANDER WAS HIT BY GUNFIRE.
POLICE SAY WHEN THE VEHICLE RAN LOW ON GAS, SYED STOLE A SECOND VEHICLE.... A BMW... IN NEARBY SANTA ANA -- AND KILLED THE DRIVER.
THEY SAY HE DROVE BACK TO TUSTIN -- AND CARJACKED ANOTHER VEHICLE -- KILLING YET ANOTHER PERSON -- AND WOUNDING ANOTHER PERSON, TOO.
POLICE SAY AS THEY CLOSED IN ON SYED ABOUT FIVE MILES AWAY IN ORANGE -- HE GOT OUT OF THE VEHICLE AND SHOT HIMSELF.
'there was a shotgun recovered at the scene where he killed himself....that's the only weapon we know of so far....so we presume it was a shotgun that was used."
POLICE SAY THE FIRST SHOOTING TOOK PLACE AROUND 4:45 AM.... AND THEY FOUND THE FIRST VICTIM SHOT MULTIPLE TIMES.
----------------THE ASSOCIATED PRESS.