The Queensland and federal governments have agreed to a streamlined model to implement disaster recovery funding in the wake of the state's flood crisis.
Queensland Treasurer Tim Nicholls says the National Partnership Agreement, which was signed off on late on Friday afternoon, is a slightly modified version of a similar partnership drawn up after the 2011 disaster.
Mr Nicholls says the agreement will reduce red tape by allowing projects over $1 million to be signed off in Queensland without needing Commonwealth approval.
"That means we will be able to get work on those projects started much more quickly than would otherwise have been the case," he told reporters.
It will also see the inclusion of a "betterment" clause, which will encourage flood-prone roads or areas to be rebuilt better than the current standard.
But Mr Nicholls said the biggest sticking point was a provision for the restoration of essential public infrastructure like parks, playgrounds and public facilities that would not have been included under the old determination.
"We wanted to make sure they were included in the categories of assistance... and weren't just left in the hands of councils," said.
Mr Nicholls earlier in the week accused Senator Joe Ludwig, the federal minister responsible for Queensland's flood recovery, of playing politics with the issue in an election year.
But he said Senator Ludwig had since worked closely with the state to ensure all of its demands were met.
"I think the federal government realised that there was no advantage of them in delaying getting on with the job," he said.
"I think both sides have now worked constructively to get a result."
Mr Nicholls said public infrastructure to be improved under the "betterment" clause was still to be identified.
He said the agreement was expected to cost the Commonwealth about $6 billion, while Premier Campbell Newman has put Queensland's damage bill at more than $2.4 billion.