The Queensland government has denied union claims it's already decided to slash some existing provisions of the state's workers compensation scheme.
It depicts an electrician who was injured in a cherry picker accident and spent eight months in hospital.
QCU president John Battams says a current review of the scheme will recommend reducing coverage and benefits for injured workers.
He called on Mr Newman to declare his position on the scheme.
"We know that some in the LNP government and their associates in big business are keen to cut the rights of injured workers to sue negligent employers and reduce the level of ongoing medical payments for seriously injured employees," he said in a statement.
AAP sought comment from Mr Newman but Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie responded instead.
Mr Bleijie said the review was required under laws introduced by the previous Labor government.
He said a bipartisan parliamentary committee was considering submissions made as part of the review process.
"The government has not considered any of these submissions as the parliamentary committee has not yet reported back with its findings," Mr Bleijie said.
The committee is due to report back on February 28.
At public hearings in November last year, the government was urged to change how work injuries are defined under the Queensland scheme, to protect self-insured employers from illegitimate claims.
Under the current definition, work only has to be "a significant contributing factor".
But some companies have argued claims should consider whether work was "the major significant contributing factor" in causing an injury.