A Victorian police taskforce set up to deal with allegations of child sexual abuse by clergy has made its first arrests.
Detectives arrested two men on Thursday over incidents alleged to have occurred in the 1960s and 1970s at a number of locations across Victoria, police said.
A 76-year-old Greenvale man has been charged with buggery, indecent assault and gross indecency in relation to incidents between 1966 and 1974.
He was bailed to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday.
A 74-year-old Boronia man has been released pending summons, a police statement says.
Taskforce Sano was set up in November to deal with the increased number of victims arising out of publicity from a Victorian parliamentary inquiry into child sex abuse by religious and other organisations.
It is investigating historical and new allegations stemming from the inquiry, as well as providing expert advice to the inquiry and, if required, to the royal commission on child sex abuse.
"It will not only look into new complaints, but also identify links between offenders and offences not previously uncovered, through the use of modern, sophisticated investigation methods," the police statement says.