Blowing out the candles on a birthday cake will be a no-no under new strict hygiene rules for childcare, the Herald Sun says.
Instead, children will have to bring their own cupcake with a candle in it when one of their classmates has a birthday.
Doctors are warning that latest National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) guidelines go too far in bubble-wrapping children.
Daycare staff will now have to wash toys, doorknobs, floors and cushion covers every day to prevent the spread of germs.
And the NHMRC wants childcare centres to stand up to parents who insist on sending a sick child to daycare, even if they have a medical certificate.
The Australian Medical Association (AMA) warned the squeaky clean regulations would put kids in a bubble.
"If somebody sneezes on a cake, I probably don't want to eat it either, but if you're blowing out candles, how many organisms are transferred to a communal cake, for goodness sake?" said AMA president Steve Hambleton.
He said it was ridiculous to require children to wash their hands before and after playing in a sand pit.
"It's normal and healthy to be exposed to a certain amount of environmental antigens that build up our immune systems," Dr Hambleton told the paper.
"If you live in a plastic bubble you're going to get infections (later in life) that you can't handle."