Some Bundaberg residents are being allowed home as authorities open access to the worst affected areas of the flood-devastated city.
From 6pm (AEST) Tuesday the Bundaberg Regional Council will lift restrictions to a previously off-limits area in north Bundaberg to allow volunteers to clean up.
It means volunteers will have complete access to north Bundaberg, where hundreds of homes were severely damaged when floods swept through last week.
Residents who have water and whose homes are structurally sound will be able to return to them, Bundaberg Mayor Mal Forman said.
But he said electric power is still out and it's not known whether sewerage mains are working.
The mayor also warned residents there would be noisy night works and advised them to stay inside after dark to avoid the heavy machines.
Meanwhile an explosives expert is in Bundaberg helping police dispose of what's believed to be a large quantity of waterlogged flares and ammunition.
Residents are being asked to call a 24-hour hotline if they see any unattended explosives.
A temporary village is being erected in the central Queensland city after 49 homes were totally damaged and 391 severely damaged by the flood.
More than 860 homes with a medium level of damage will probably be able to be saved.