The man overseeing Queensland's flood appeal says the $5.5 million raised so far is a tiny fraction of what will be needed.
Premier Campbell Newman says the damage bill will climb into the billions, and Queenslanders must dig deep to help those who've lost homes and businesses.
Former Labor deputy premier and treasurer Terry Mackenroth has been appointed to oversee the joint state government-Red Cross appeal.
He says it's early days, but so far donations to the appeal are low. He's blamed a succession of disasters across the nation over the past decade for appeal fatigue.
"In 2011, the amount of money donated (to the flood appeal) was over $250 million. At this stage we've got $5 million. If that doesn't grow, it's not going to go very far," Mr Mackenroth told ABC radio on Friday.
Ads had been placed in newspapers urging people to give what they can. A campaign targeting corporate Australia is also planned.
Mr Mackenroth said he would meet on Monday with committee members tasked with helping him oversee the appeal process.
He said no criteria had been set for donations from the appeal fund, and that would be a priority issue.
He said there would have to be an application process, to ensure the money got to the right people, but the aim was to get cash out to victims as quickly as possible.
Corporate and government donations have accounted for the bulk of funds so far and $700,000 has been donated by members of the public.
Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payments (AGDRP) have been extended to people in the Lockyer Valley and North Burnett regions.
Claims can be lodged for $1000 for each eligible adult and $400 for each eligible child.
Extra staff are being deployed to Department of Human Services centres, as well as some recovery centres, to help people with their claims.
The payments have already been made available in Bundaberg, Gladstone, Gympie and the Fraser Coast.
The federal assistance is on top of the support already being provided under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA), jointly funded by the federal and Queensland governments.
There are now 50 local government areas eligible for various types of disaster assistance under the NDRRA across Queensland.
Claims can be made online at humanservices.gov.au/disaster, by calling the Australian Government Emergency Information Line on 180 22 66 from 8am to 8pm local time, seven days a week, or in person at recovery centres or any Centrelink Service Centre during their usual business hours.