Training, supervision and safe workplace policy issues will be at the centre of an inquest into the deaths of three men who were electrocuted while installing home insulation under a federal government scheme.
Matthew James Fuller, 25, Rueben Kelly Barnes, 16, and Mitchell Scott Sweeney, 22, died between 2009 and 2010 when they shot metal staples into live electrical cables while installing foil insulation.
The home insulation program was shut down in February 2010 after the deaths.
During a pre-inquest hearing in the Brisbane Coroners Court on Tuesday, Ralph Devlin SC, counsel assisting State Coroner Michael Barnes, said seven key issues would be explored during the inquest, to be held later this year.
They included why metal staples were allowed to be used in the scheme despite being banned in New Zealand, why it was not mandatory to turn off electricity prior to installation and whether the three young employees had received adequate training and supervision.
Mr Devlin said the inquest would also establish what progress the state and federal governments had made in addressing safety recommendations from previous investigations into the deaths.
He said the issues for the inquest to examine had been pared down from a list of 41 questions raised by the families of the deceased.
Mr Devlin said many of those questions were outside the powers of the coroner or had already been investigated.
The inquest will be held for one week from March 11, with a further three days set down in early May.