Firefighters are working to strengthen containment lines at a major bushfire in the north-west of New South Wales, ahead of forecast bad weather later in the week.
The Rural Fire Service (RFS) has , which has already destroyed at least 40 homes and burned through 42,000 hectares west of Coonabarabran.
Extra resources have been brought in to help tackle the uncontrolled blaze and build containment lines around its 100-kilometre perimeter.
The fire is one of 122 still burning across the state, 29 of which are out of control.
Eighty crews and 20 aircraft have been dropping water and fire retardant on the blaze, burning close to the village of Bugaldie.
About 100 firefighters have taken advantage of cooler conditions on Tuesday night to put in more containment lines ahead of hot north-westerly winds forecast for Friday.
NSW RFS's Inspector Brett Lachlan says over 200 firefighters will continue the preparations during daylight on Wednesday.
"That will really allow our crews to get in and keep consolidating these containment lines, to keep working with the earth-moving machinery," he said.
"That really is our aim at the moment to try and get some stuff done before the weather potentially turns unfavourable on Friday."
NSW RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons says an arduous task lies ahead for fire crews before the predicted bad weather hits.
"We will have firefighters patrolling it literally for weeks unless we get heavy, widespread rain," he said.
"We need to be focused on the fact that there is more deteriorating weather coming and we need to be prepared for the very real potential this fire will still be uncontained and get up and running again under those weather conditions on Friday."
Inspector Lachlan says there have been small flare-ups on Tuesday afternoon but the fire front has not grown significantly.
He says it is still not clear when people evacuated from the path of the fire can return home.
About 100 people have evacuated from the area.
Inspector Lachlan says the situation in the already burnt out areas is still being assessed.
"We're working closely with Country Energy and the police and local council, we're also using specialist chainsaw operators to go in and fell trees that have fallen across the road," he said.
"It really is a mammoth undertaking to get these roads cleaned up and safe but it's something that we've got as a top priority."
A tent city to house the 300 firefighters battling the blaze has now been set-up in Coonabarabran.
Until now firefighters have booked out all accommodation and slept in a makeshift camp at one of the town's schools but tonight they will move into the base camp at Coonabarabran's race course.
Inspector Lachlan says the tents are quite comfortable
"They're military spec tents with air-conditioning and electricity. They will end up this evening with hot water for showers and everything else," he said.
In addition to the 40 homes, 110 out buildings have so far been lost while five outer buildings were damaged at the $80 million Siding Spring Observatory on Sunday.
Doctor Sarah Pearce from the CSIRO says the antenna at the observatory has not been touched, but the control room is damaged.
"It's great news that the antenna is in one piece," she said.
"We do need to go and check out the antenna to make sure that the receivers and things are still operable and that the antenna hasn't been damaged at all by the heat.
"But it's fantastic news that the antenna seems to be standing tall, firm and proud."
Local police officer Mal Unicomb is among those forced to evacuate.
He says the fire came within 800 metres of his home.
"I've spoken to others, I've spoken to some of our neighbours who've lost properties, you know, they've lost their houses and lost everything," he said.
"I mean, at the moment it's just everybody's in a state of shock, I suppose.
"We all know it's a long road ahead and we've got a lot of resources that are now coming into the town to assist."
Warrumbungle Shire Mayor Peter Shinton says houses are being checked to ensure they are safe.
"We've got about seven or eight crews of people from Essential Energy out there putting the poles back," he said.
"Yesterday, when we were there, there were poles just hanging, a lot of the wires were just on the ground, and a lot still burning."
Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner has toured the devastated area and says it is a miracle there has been no loss of life.
"It's absolutely obvious that this was an extreme fire, that the heat, the ferocity, the rapidity of this fire caught everyone pretty much unawares," he said.
"But the miraculous thing is that despite the property loss - and there have been 33 residences destroyed - there has been no loss of life, and that is not through luck. It's through good preparation and through the good work of our firefighters."
Newell Highway cut
Meanwhile, the RFS says it hopes to have another bushfire burning north of Coonabarabran contained on Wednesday.
The blaze has burned through almost 650 hectares and has closed the Newell Highway between Coonabarabran and Narrabri.
The RFS says the fire is not moving very fast and crews will use today to build containment lines and carry out back-burning if possible.
Firefighters have also worked to ensure a bushfire near Murrumbateman, north of Canberra, remains within containment lines.
The 30-hectare blaze on Dicks Creek Road has not threatened property.
Firefighters are still trying to bring a blaze under control in the Kybyean Valley, near Cooma.
Other bushfires near Yass and Bungendore are under control.
Some 120 fires are burning across NSW, 30 of them uncontrolled.